Tuesday, June 07, 2005

Mixtape: The Coolest Hot-Weather Music Ever

Yo, it's hot up here in Chicago. Africa hot (TM "Can I Get A" Witness). As such, I cannot be expected to churn out the mad-witty prose to which you've grown accustomed. Sorry. But I'm going to do my best to turn out a good list for you of songs that you need to, HAVE to hear when it's hot, hot, hot. I've made it SO easy for you; all you have to do is burn it. Done and done. Pull up your porch chair and take a wrench to that fire hydrant. These are the Sounds of Summer According to The Racket. Like to hear it? Here it go.

Side A: AC
Lisa Lisa & Cult Jam – "Head to Toe"
Chaka Khan – "I Feel for You"
Charles & Eddie – "Would I Lie to You?"
Expose – "Come Go With Me"
The Rapture – "House of Jealous Lovers"
Blondie – "Heart of Glass"
The The – "Dogs of Lust"
Interpol – "Obstacle 1"
The Stratford Four – "Simple Things Are Taking Over"
Jody Watley – "Some Kind of Lover"
George Michael – "Freedom '90"
T. Rex – "Mambo Sun"
Nick Gilder – "Hot Child in the City"
Sly & the Family Stone – "Hot Fun in the Summertime"

Side B: Box Fans
Sophie B. Hawkins – "Damn, I Wish I Was Your Lover"
Shelby Lynne – "Dream Some"
Quincy Jones – "Summer in the City"
The Pharcyde – "Passing Me By"
Go to School: You'll note that "Passing Me By" samples "Summer in the City," which is itself a cover of the Lovin' Spoonfull's original version.

The Sade Trifecta – "Hang on to Your Love," "Sweetest Taboo," and "No Ordinary Love"
The Cars – "Drive"
Don Henley – "Boys of Summer"
Rufus, featuring Chaka Khan – "Stay"
Mary J. Blige – "Sweet Thing"
Go to School: This is a cover of the original Chaka Khan version, which can be found on the aforementioned Rufus album.

George Michael – "Father Figure"
Culture Club – "Time (Clock of the Heart)"

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love your mix. "Damn I Wish I Was Your Lover" is SUCH a summer song. Was that 1992? All's I know is I was wearing a lot of bodysuits that summer.

Selections from my own summer mix, titled (what else?) Hot Fun in the Summertime:

Eddie Grant - Electric Avenue
Bob Seger - Night Moves (Yeah, I said it.)
Tony Toni Tone - Feels Good
Marky Mark - Good Vibrations
Montell Jordan - This is How We Do It
Lakeside - Fantastic Voyage
Kool & the Gang - Too Hot
Dead or Alive - Brand New Lover
Depeche Mode - Route 66 Remix
Dolly Parton - Here You Come Again
Ventures - Walk Don't Run
Ohio Players - Love Rollercoaster

7:18 PM, June 07, 2005  
Blogger Iseult said...

Oh hell yeah, with the Bob Seger! Great list. Other songs I'd add to a summer mix:

Mark Morrison - Return of the Mack
The Doobie Bros. - What a Fool Believes
Aaron Hall - Don't Be Afraid

3:04 PM, June 09, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home