Wednesday, February 16, 2005

Favorite Sounds, Nonmusical Variety

  • The opening of a soda can
  • The "ffftttt" of a rotary-dial telephone, especially when dialed from a high digit
  • The zipper on my floor-length puffy coat
  • The snap on my green windbreaker, circa 1986
  • The tiny bell on my keychain that my mom gave me
  • The "thwunk" of a stapler when stapling a large amount of paper
  • The "plink" when I pull the cord on the bus to let the driver know it's my stop
  • The cracking when you break off part of a pappadum
  • A train whistle
  • The "fitzzzz" of the ramen noodles re-hydrating when hit by boiling water
  • Bare feet on a hardwood floor
  • The turning of the lock when Fibonacci comes home
  • The "thwup" of the toast popping up
  • Rain, anywhere, anytime
  • The crinkle of the wrapper surrounding a Goetze's Bulls Eye caramel cream
  • Skatie's laugh and Campbell's laugh—it's a tie
  • Fibonacci, when he sings Johnny Cash
  • The busty traffic-cop lady when she yells at tourists crossing Michigan Avenue because they don't seem to understand that that searing-red flashing-hand signal doesn't mean "Go ahead and run, you might just make it, unless you have bags from American Girl or Crate & Barrel, in which case, everyone will wait for your globular, Applebee's-eating ass to waddle along to the other side, Allah forbid that your parcels get jostled! Take your time."
  • The "chh-chh" noise the jumbo mouthwash bottle at the gym makes when I press down on the pump and the mouthwash splashes into the Dixie cup
  • The lint brush doing its job on a sweater
  • The lighting of a match, especially a wooden match
  • The "ssschssssch" of packing peanuts when my hands rummage through them
  • When Skatie's kid calls and yells, "Zia! I lurve ya!"
  • How when you put a dollar in the vending machine on my floor, it makes a "blong" sound that's exactly like the first note of "Sunday Bloody Sunday"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home